◆英語タイトル：Global Pharmaceutical Glass Tubing Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 - 2026)
The pharmaceutical glass tubing market was valued at USD 13.47 billion in 2020, and it is projected to reach USD 19.61 billion by 2026, and grow at a CAGR of 6.5% over the forecast period (2021 – 2026). The manufacturing tools and fabrication techniques that are being used to manufacture pharmaceutical tubing have become extraordinarily complex. The complexity is primarily being driven by multiple applications in which the tubing is used. The most pharmaceutical application requires tubing that meets a set of specifications, and currently, the manufacturing methods are rapidly evolving to accommodate these broad categories of specifications. According to the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, the 2019 report, 517,381 syringes were distributed in Sweden.
- The rapidly growing pharmaceutical industry across the world is boosting the growth of the market. The introduction of stringent laws to enhance the quality and integrity of domestically manufactured drugs is leading to an increase in the use of glass for pharmaceutical packaging products. Additionally, the increasing demand for sterile medical packaging products from the pharmaceutical industries would further drive the growth of the market during the forecast period.
- The increasing number of drugs that are being packaged in the glass medium is driving the demand for glass-based injectables, ampules, etc. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), around 422 million people have diabetes around the world. The increase in this number is increasing the demand for penicillin, thereby contributing to the growth of the market
- The United States also dominates the pharmaceutical market, both in consumption and development. According to the STAT, prescription drug spending in the nation is considered to add up to USD 600 billion by 2023, up from an estimated USD 500 billion in 2019, which is further expected to drive the market for the pharmaceutical glass tubing market in the region.
- Vendors in the market, such as Schott, which is a prominent technology group specializing in the area of glass and glass-ceramics across the globe, have a significant market share. With the production capacity of more than 140,000 tons and multiple production sites in Europe, South America, and Asia, the company is one of the leading manufacturers of glass tubes, rods, and profiles. The company manufactures more than 60 different glass types in a large variety of dimensional and cosmetic specifications that are based on a standardized production process.
- Moreover, the COVID -19 pandemic has put forth a demanding situation for the players in the pharmaceutical glass tubing industry. The widespread of the pandemic and the humanitarian toll is taken by it is primarily making it challenging for the players in the market to respond. The nationwide lockdowns have further worsened this situation for the glass tubing industry.
- Several vendors in the market are aiding the fight against the pandemic through critical supplies. For instance, Corning is supplying its products from glass tubing for diagnostic test kits to vials for clinical drug trials for vaccines, to providing corning valor glass packaging in order to help fill the gap for the projected drug shortages. The company is also providing assistance with glass packaging, or any need for consumables from its Life Sciences portfolio for vaccine process development.
Key Market Trends
Application of Vials is Witnessing Significant Growth in Pharmaceutical sector
- Glass vials are used as facilitators in the pharmaceutical industry, and they have come a long way from mere commodities to be an integral part of the final drug product. Since the last few decades, the healthcare industry has been making constant efforts to address the issue of low medical adherence by patients and improve the intake of medications. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), on average, around 50% of the prescribed medications are taken incorrectly by patients, particularly in the United States.
- Packaging of drugs and other medicines play an essential part in solving these issues. In that regard, pharmaceutical vials are increasingly being administered to ensure that the patients take medicine in appropriate dosage and at the prescribed time. Besides, products in such form also provide the ease of medication intake by the patients. This may help reduce their time of recovery and the burden on the healthcare system.
- Vials are also easily recyclable and are considered eco-friendly material. This has shifted the focus of end-users from conventional containers to vials and, in turn, has created a lucrative demand for these products across the medical and healthcare sectors.
- Compared with other glass packaging products, glass vials are easy to clean, dust-resistant, and non-reactive with the fluids stored in it. Owing to its impermeability and chemical inertness for drug product stability, glass vials are used for the packaging of liquid and lyophilized drugs. Besides, their transparency provides ease of inspection. Major players in the space are focusing on delivering custom-sized vials in an eco-friendly packaging solution. This is due to a rise in specialized procedures such as ophthalmology, cardiology, orthopedics, plastic surgery, etc.
- Moreover, major vial manufacturers have progressed significantly in terms of converting and packaging process. For instance, automated inspection systems are being used to inspect all key surfaces of the vial packaging and detect defects invisible to the human eye. On a similar note, in February 2020, Stevanato Group and Bormioli Pharma signed a collaboration agreement for glass-molded vials development in EZ-fill configuration. The agreement enabled biopharma customers, contract filling organizations, and research laboratories to receive Bormioli Pharma’s proprietary primary containers in Ompi’s industry-recognized EZ-fill secondary packaging configuration.
Asia-Pacific is expected to Witness the Fastest Growth
- The healthcare and pharmaceutical sector in China is one of the world’s largest markets, primarily driven by its ageing population. Also, glass production is significant in the region, with the export value of glass products in the country was around USD 6.6 billion in 2018 alone according to the National Bureau of Statistics of China.
- Owing to significant demand, Schott AG has built a state-of-the-art plant for high-quality pharmaceutical glass tubing in China in 2019. The plant started production of FIOLAX borosilicate glass tubing which is the base material for pharmaceutical packaging such as vials, ampoules, syringes, and cartridges, which the vast majority of COVID-19 vaccine projects rely upon. SCHOTT has invested 60 million Euros in the new plant as part of a 1 billion USD investment in its global pharmaceutical business, adding a capacity of 20,000 tons of glass for pharmaceutical packaging.
- Further, according to the India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), the total export value of the pharmaceutical industry in 2019 was USD 19.1 Billion. In addition, the total amount invested in R&D activities as a share of sales by the top ten Indian pharma companies in the country was 8.6% in 2019. Further, stats from IBEF suggest that the packaging industry in the country constitutes about 4% of the global packaging industry.
- The Indian pharmaceutical sector has been witnessing impressive growth rates in recent years, a trend that continues to benefit specialist Type I moulded and tubular glassmakers such as SGD Pharma India Ltd., a prominent vendor in glass pharmaceutical packaging for healthcare. More than 9000 tons of moulded type I pharmaceutical glass containers and 4000 tones of tubular vials and ampoules (corresponding to more than 700 million pieces) are produced annually at the Vemula glassworks of SGD Pharma (India).
- Moreover, the various prominent global manufacturer is investing in the country owing to increasing demand from the country’s pharmaceutical and healthcare sector. For instance, in June 2019, due to the increasing demand for glass tubing for making ampoules and vials, SCHOTT Glass India invested in a new unit at its existing manufacturing site at Gujarat, India.
- Similarly, many international companies are seeking to invest in the Japanese pharmaceutical market. In 2019, Arglass Yamamura LLC, a joint venture between a New York investment firm and a Japanese glass manufacturer, announced to invest USD 123 million to build a new plant in South Georgia with the goal of hiring 150 people. The company also stated that imports of glass containers have almost doubled from 2009-18. SCHOTT has been providing glass packaging products to meet the needs of Japanese pharmaceutical companies.
The pharmaceutical glass tubing market is highly consolidated, owing to the presence of many dominant and large players. The market is consolidated with the key players adopting strategies, such as product innovation, to stay ahead of the competition. Some of the players in the market are Schott AG, Nipro Pharma Corporation, Corning Incorporated, Richland Glass Co. Inc., among others.
- April 2020 – Corning Inc. supported China’s effort to help mitigate the impact of COVID-19 on the regional pharmaceutical supply chain by donating its Type I borosilicate glass tubing. This high-quality tubing will be converted into 5 million to 10 million ampoules and vials that will then be supplied to the Chinese pharmaceutical companies for parenteral packaging of drug therapies.
- February 2020 – Piramal Glass Ltd announced an investment of INR 300 Crores (USD 42 million) in its greenfield project in Jambusar, Gujarat, India. The expansion plan includes 1 new furnace with 7 new manufacturing lines across 300,000 sq. ft. plant, catering primarily to high-end specialty spirit, food & beverage and pharmaceutical markets primarily for exports to countries in Asia, Europe, and the United States.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Growth of the Pharmaceutical Industry in Emerging Economies
4.2.2 Commodity Value of Glass Increased with Recyclability
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Increased Relevance of Alternate Sources
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.6 Impact of Covid-19 on the Market
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.2.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.2.3 Asia Pacific
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia Pacific
5.2.4 Latin America
5.2.5 Middle East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Schott AG
6.1.2 Nipro Pharma Corporation
6.1.3 Corning Incorporated
6.1.4 Nippon Electric Glass Co. Ltd
6.1.5 Accu-Glass LLC
6.1.6 Richland Glass Co. Inc.
6.1.7 Cangzhou Four-star Glass Co. Ltd
6.1.8 LINUO Group
6.1.9 DWK Life Sciences GmbH
6.1.10 Aimer Products Limited
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 FUTURE OF THE MARKET